Fixing Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (CoD MW3) PC Crashes, Crash to Desktop, Errors, Freezing, Cannot Install, Black screen, No Sound, and Poor FPSThese are working fixes for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (CoD MW3) PC crash to desktop, errors, freezing, blackscreens, and poor FPS and graphics. The hype of CoD MW3 surely lives up to its global release on the PC, Xbox 360, and PS3 platforms, particularly energized by the awesome Call of Duty: Elite platform. We at CrashFixes.com were so pumped waiting for the PC release (FYI we got our advanced copy on eBay!), but lo and behold, crashes, freezing, and some errors came our way and flipped us hard. So we went ahead and compiled this list to help you solve those game-breaking bugs and crashes that came with Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (CoD MW3) PC. Be sure to read through, and post your personal issues in running this game in the comments section below.
Fixing Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (CoD MW3) PC Crashes, Crash to Desktop, Errors, Freezing, Blackscreens, No Sound, and Poor FPS
First things first, make sure your PC system meets the minimum requirements for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (CoD MW3) PC.
Minimum System Requirements for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (CoD MW3) PC:
OS: Windows XP, Vista or Windows 7
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 or AMD Phenom X3 8750 processor or better
RAM: 2 GB
HDD: 16 GB free disk space
Graphics: 256 MB card with shader model 3
Sound Card: DirectX 9 Compatible
DirectX: Version 9.0c
Supported Graphics Cards of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (CoD MW3) PC:
NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT / ATI Radeon X1950 or better
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (CoD MW3) PC Crash Fix and Fixes to Crash to Desktop, Errors, Freezing, Blackscreens, Poor FPS, and No Sound
Problem #1 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (CoD MW3) PC Crash Fix – Crash to Desktop upon Launch / Startup
If you’re game randomly crashes upon launching the game, ensure or try the following:
- Update your nVidia / ATI graphics drivers
- Turn off SLI / Crossfire
- Try using only one GPU first (turn the other one off via your graphics control panel)
- Disable anti-aliasing and filtering
- Disable V-sync
- Disable background apps, and turn off your anti-virus software
- Run through our list of general fixes, which will most likely resolve your problems
Problem #2 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (CoD MW3) PC Install Error: “Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (CoD MW3)
PC Install Fails, Cannot Install”
This is a Microsoft C++ bug so the quick fix is to uninstall your C++ files. If you see 2 instances of Microsoft C++, uninstall both of them; and don’t worry, they are easy to reinstall. There are also a couple workarounds online if you don’t want to uninstall them.
Problem #3 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (CoD MW3) PC “Steam – Error This game is currently unavailable. Please try again at another time.” and ‘Steam Error – 55?
To fix this, simply restart Steam. If that doesn’t fix restarting your PC should do it.
Problem #4 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (CoD MW3) PC Game Freeze Fix – Game Freezes during the Intro Video
If you’re using Steam, a quick solution is to verify the integrity of your Steam game cache to resolve the problem. If it persists, update ensure that both your graphics drivers and DirectX are updated.
(UPDATE) You can also try the following:
Go to your MW3 installation folder and delete the file called: “ModernWarfare3.bik” as this is the video file that is causing most of the lock up during startups. Pretty straightforward, but this tip has already fixed the problem for many people.
Problem #5 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (CoD MW3) PC Crash Fix – Game crashes when launching / upon launch
This is a typical DirectX problem. Just update to the latest DirectX version and voila.
Problem #6 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (CoD MW3) PC Graphics Fix – Cannot see main menu, Menu crashes, Dual monitor problems
A common problem when playing on multiple screens. For now, the solution is to unplug other monitors and play on single screen. If that doesn’t work, try playing in windowed mode.
Problem #7 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (CoD MW3) PC Crashing to desktop at startup/launch
First, try setting your desktop to a resolution of 1024×768, 32 bit True Color.
For Windows XP
- Right-click on your desktop and select Properties.
- Click the Settings tab.
- Set your screen area to 1024×768.
- Set the colors to Highest (32 bit).
- Click Apply and OK.
For Windows Vista / Windows 7
- Right-click on your desktop and select Personalize.
- Click on Display Settings
- Set the resolution slider to 1024X768
- Set the colors to Highest (32 bit).
- Click Apply and OK.
All background applications should be shut down prior to running the game.
- Go to the Start bar and select Run. (If you are on Vista or Windows 7, hit the Windows key and the R key at the same time)
- In the Run window, type in msconfig and hit enter.
- Once the utility comes up, go to the Startup tab and hit the Disable All button.
- Next go to the Services tab and check the “Hide All Microsoft Services” checkbox and then hit the Disable All button.
- Hit the OK button and close the utility, and restart your computer when prompted to.
If you’re still using Windows XP, turn your sound acceleration down. Here’s how:
- Click the Start button > Settings > Control Panel.
- Double-click the Sounds and Audio Devices icon.
- Click the Volume tab.
- Under Speaker settings, click the Advanced button.
- Click the Performance tab.
- Reduce the Hardware acceleration to Basic, the 2nd notch from the left.
- Click Apply and then OK 2 times. Run the game now. Don’t forget to turn the acceleration back up to restore the high-end features for your sound card when using other applications
Problem #8 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (CoD MW3) PC Crash Fix – nVidia Optimus Crashes the Game
If you’re using a newer laptop that’s using an nVidia Optimus card, try checking your Optimus settings.
- Open the “nVidia Control Panel” from your start menu.
- On the lefthand side, under “Select a task…”
- Open the “3D Settings” tree, and select “Manage 3D Settings”
- On the righthand panel, click the “Program Settings” tab.
- Under “1. Select a program…”, click “Add”, navigate to your installation folder and navigate to the application / exe file.
- Under “2. Select the preferred graphics…”, choose “High-performance NVIDIA processor”
- Then (VERY IMPORTANT!) click “Apply” in the bottom right.
- Launch the game.
Problem #9 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (CoD MW3) PC Crashing / Freezing ingame
Disable Steam community in-game, while another option is to rerun DXSETUP: go to SteamSteamAppscommoncall of duty modern warfare 3RedistDirectX and run DXSETUP. Do also try the fix posted in Problem #7 above.
Problem #10 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (CoD MW3) PC Sound / Audio Fix – No sound or weak sound
For Windows 7 and Vista users:
First of all, update your sound card drivers. If doing that doesn’t clear up the problem, make sure you have volume set to max for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (CoD MW3) PC in the volume mixer (click on the little speaker icon in the bottom-right of your screen in the system tray). If you’re in-game, just alt+tab out of the game and check if Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (CoD MW3) PC is set to max in the volume mixer.
Another tip you could try is to go to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Sound > Communications Tab then select the “Do Nothing” radio button to permanently fix this issue.
For Windows XP users:
Reduce hardware acceleration, or set your speakers to Stereo.
Problem #11 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (CoD MW3) PC Install error “Failed to run install script”
This is a common problem on Windows 7. To solve this, try the following:
Run the game as administrator when installing the game. Go to: Start > My Computer > Right-click DVD drive > Explore > Right-click on setup.exe > Run as Administrator
If that doesn’t work, do the following:
- In Steam, go to My Games, right-click on Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (CoD MW3) PC. The non-installed information will appear next to the game.
- Now insert Disk 1 into your DVD drive and close Steam (File, Exit).
- From the Windows Desktop, click on the Start Button, (XP) click Run (Vista) type Run into the Start Search box and choose Run from the list.
- In the window Run box enter the following: C:Program FilesSteamsteam.exe -install E:
- If your CD/DVD drive is not E: please change it accordingly.
- If Steam is not installed within c:program filessteam, change the path accordingly.
- Press OK, Steam should now start the installation from the Disk 1 and will ask for Disk 2 a bit later on.
- At the end of the installation process, Steam will connect on Internet to download a small update which should take no more than few minutes.
Problem #12 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (CoD MW3) PC Mouse Fix – Reverse / weird mouse acceleration problem
To quickly fix this, try shutting off your mouse-specific software from Logitech, Microsoft, Razer, and the like. Also try a lower polling rate, sometimes this is switchable on the bottom-side of the gaming mouse.
Problem #13 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (CoD MW3) PC FPS Fix – Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (CoD MW3) PC Lags, freezes, or has poor FPS performance
Disable vsync and antialiasing on codmw3.exe after enable/force antialiasing on AMD Vision Engine Control Center (AMD/ATI) or Nvidia Control Panel (nVidia),finally enable/force tripple buffering and vsync on D3DOverrider(Download Here)
Alternatively, press CTRL + ALT + DELETE to bring up the Task Manager, go to processes, select the game’s respective exe file and set priority above normal or higher.You must do this everytime you play the game.
Problem #14 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (CoD MW3) PC – Cannot Install Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (CoD MW3) PC
Please ensure that you’ve uninstalled Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (CoD MW3) PC from your PC, then try again.
Problem #15 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (CoD MW3) PC DirectX audio problem on Windows 7 Pro (64 bit) Error says “C:Windowssystem32XAudio2_1.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error.”
Work around to install:
1. Install Steam if you don’t already have it
2. Exit steam (File > Exit)
3. Go to Start > Run (Windows Key + R) type the following: “C:Program Files (x86)SteamSteam.exe” -install D:
4. Include the quotes and change ‘D:’ to be your DVD drive if you have to
Problem #16 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (CoD MW3) PC Error Fix – Crashing with error: “RELIABLE COMMAND BUFFER OVERFLOW”
Workaround Solution (all credit goes to our reader Ravebreak):CODICEGo through the building on the right with the broken glass, and stay in there until the end of the offices, and it will auto save.
Problem #17 Cannot link Gamer Tag, PSN ID, or Xbox Live ID
On your browser, go to Internet Options and clear your cookies and cache. Also try using a different browser to access Call of Duty Elite.
Problem #18 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (CoD MW3) PC Error – “Your Account Information could not be verified”
Simply clear your browser cookies and cache to fix this problem.
Problem #19 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (CoD MW3) Rank Reset / Rank Error / Incorrect rankings
MW3 will soon restore them using their cloud backup. However you will lose all progress so far. The developers are working to stabilize this issue.
Problem #20 Call of Duty: modern Warfare 3 (CoD MW3) Stats do not update / Stats update delays
Simply clear your browser cookies and cache to fix this problem.
Problem #21 Your CoD MW3 Problems!
Please post any concerns in the comments section below, so that our team and the community can help out. You may also be able to help others!
That’s all the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (CoD MW3) PC crash fixes we have for now, but we’ll post more as soon as we get more information — Again let us know if you’re encountering other Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (CoD MW3) PC in the comments section below..
modern warfare 3 RELOADED setup.exe CRASHES everytime the setup reaches to iw_15.iwd file. Help!!!.
I have a problem during the installation of COD MW3 that i don't find the solution here.
The problem is, in the middle of installation appear a little window asking for insert the DVD2, so i click in the POWER ISO icon in the task bar - then i click mount image in drive F: ( the drive created by power iso automaticaly) i select the DVD 2 but nothing happen - then i click ok in the litlle window but it don't desapear!!!
PLEASE CAN YOU HELP ME FIX THIS PROBLEM? THANK YOU.
Razer, perchè non lo traduci in italiano D:.
I have installed cod morden warfare 3 but as soon as I try to launch game it is showing your diskdrive is full and game won't start where as I have free space of 33 gb after installation of game
- ahmed tomy.
I have a problem...
After entering the game and the beginning of the game This message appears:
(save divice_pc-temp save game:cannot open file for saveing ) and exit
help me plz..
Any one Can Slove the this error ?!!!.
sand man doesnt open the door which contain an exit sign.
I have a problem with MW3 guys .....I am using MSI laptop called GT 70 when I play COD mw3 single player nothing happen at all . But once I open the wireless and connect online the game freezes after 18 seconds exactly ..... I have tried to delete the game and install it again but no use . updated everything still no use ..... verified integrity of game cache still no use !........ used the safe mode still no use ..... I got directX - 11 still no use .... black ops 2 works but MW3 doesn't work ..... please guys I need your help =(.
Try to disable your firewall..
PORCODDIO, a me tipo l'avvio è non và un cazzo, si apre è si chiude è dice: iw5m.dat ha smesso di funzionare, prima funzionava ora no pff.
Plz help..i wanna play tis game so badly but i keep gettin tis error msg on running the game "could'nt load image '~m67_grenade_spc-rgb&m67_gren~16d1537e ".....am using a windows 7 32-bit os and i have the minimum reqs to run the game..plzzzz help...i appreciate any suggestions on this....thanks in advance.
Try to reinstall the game..
hey....i installed call of duty modern warfare 3. and after cracking it i launched the game. it shows disk ddrive id full. but actually i have plenty of space in my disk.....how do i do this...???.
hey i have completed 30% of campaign but it says to start over again...but its showing the same percentage of completion stll...hlp me please.